30 January 2007

The Beauty Epidemic

I've been doing a bit of reflecting on beauty. I'm sure there exist volumes upon volumes of much more sophisticated reflections, and even libraries dedicated to aesthetics. But what are blogs for?

It is my firm conviction that beauty exists all around us. Yes, I'm willing to concede that it may be beauty marred by the ugliness of sin, but I would contend that there is still enough of the Creator's hand at work in our world and within us that beauty--real beauty--exists. My reflections, though, turn less on this point and more on how we then interact with this beauty.

I've noted that, for my own part, there are generally two stages that come about. First comes the observation of beauty. Something, be it a sunset, a painting, a recitation of a verse, a piece of music, etc., takes hold of me. But here, already, is my primary problem: I don't know how to appreciate these forms of beauty. Instead of doing whatever it is I now (upon reflecting) feel I should be doing, I move from observation (which often lasts an infinitessimal amount of time) to the second stage, consumption. I want to own it. I want it to be mine. I want to take a picture of the sunset, buy a print of the painting, or a book of the poem, or a CD of the music. I want to be able to access it whenever I want to. In short, I want to control it.

Another problematic aspect of this movement from appreciation to consumption is that it erodes my own sensibilities (if, indeed, I have any) toward what makes something beautiful. Surely, a rareness of occurrence can contribute toward making something more beautiful (e.g. a rainbow). So also must context and circumstance within which the beautiful is encountered play a role. But when I step in to control and dominate beauty, I find I cannot. The photograph of the sunset is never as striking as the real thing. The CD can play, nearly unheeded, not as beauty, but as background noise.

And this can lead to a third stage. The disappointment and perhaps frustration that comes from not being able to consume beauty can lead me to want to destroy beauty. I suppose the (sick) reasoning is that, "if I can't have it, neither should anyone else have it." I can't say that I have moved to this stage often, in fact I struggle to come up with a personal example at the moment. But the pervasiveness in our society of crimes like vandalism, desecration, and even rape speaks loudly to me of this third, consequential stage.

So, my prayer is simply that I would learn how to appreciate beauty. Not to own it, not to control it. Rather, that I would have the sense of mind and peace of spirit to pause, absorb, and give thanks when I am met by beauty. For beauty is, as I see it, an invitation to simply be, a vehicle into wonder, a reassurance that He Who Is Beauty remains.

6 comments:

Lancaster Gardener said...

Beautiful Pat... I loved the way you brought out the 3 stages... In response I am going out on a walk now... Peace, Saju

E. Twist said...

Pat,

Ok, let's just look at this little bit,

"I want to own it. I want it to be mine. I want to take a picture of the sunset, buy a print of the painting, or a book of the poem, or a CD of the music. I want to be able to access it whenever I want to. In short, I want to control it."

Are we really to think that (1) owning is controlling, (2) access hinders an authentic correspondence, or (3) beauty is most beautiful when it's elusive?

I've just been compelled to (1) toss out all our music, (2) toss out all of Carter's previous artwork, and (3) tell Allison she should create an air of uncertainty in our relationship so I don't get too comfortable with her presence.

Patrick Conley said...

Saju,
Thanks for the comments. Hope you enjoyed your walk.

Erik,
Good points. Perhaps I did go a bit over-the-top, leaving the reader to assume that it was always wrong to own. That's not what I meant to imply.

I did, however, mean to reflect that often, in my experience, beauty is not meant to be owned so much as appreciated, which does not require ownership.

What I've come to regret, I guess, is that when faced with an authentically beautiful situation, I quickly turn away from quiet appreciation, lured away by my want of alternative, controllable access. I see a beautiful painting in a museum, and I think to check the museum shop to see if they've a print. Ultimately, I don't think that wrong, but I wish I could drink in the act of appreciation a bit more.

Thanks for your comments...I'm thinking about your other points, too...but I'll stop my response here. You might regard my answers as a bit shocking! Suffice it to say that, as regards your question that begins, "Are we really to think that...", my answer is "maybe so" to all 3.

allison said...

p-dog,

I would suggest that the frustration is not born from the availability of consumable copies, but from your answering "yes" to my 3rd question.

You find beauty most beautiful when it's elusive quite possibly because you prefer the novelty and the chase more than the pondering. You probably like to window shop more than you like to purchase.

I don't think your dismayed by your owning of the printed work of art, but that in order to truly dive deep into what it offers you you have to give it time, discipline, and thought. A fading sunset doesn't allow for such devotion. It simply comes and goes and leaves you with an empty sky.

The artist's rendering or the Poet's description, however, asks you to sit with it for a lifetime, giving it more than fleeting moments, but thought-filled awe.

Thing is, art is never a commodity, it is always a gift. Your sense of ownership is an illusion. Once you destroy that, you may find you've been released to absorb more fully both nature's beauty and the poster over your living room table.

e.

allison said...

Somehow I'm signed in as Allison. Oh well.

Lancaster Gardener said...

Are you still being beautiful?