22 October 2008

Political Disillusionment ...and Baseball

I enjoy baseball. Living in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area, I follow the Minnesota Twins. I’m not exactly the most devout, but I’d call myself a fan. I cheer them on, winning or losing. I try to make it to a few home games every season. I watch games or highlights online, note some statistics, and I could fairly well rattle off the starting lineup and pitching rotation, if it came to it.
I saw in our local newspaper today a small AP news story which, upon searching the internet, has made it all the way into BBC news. Succinctly, McCain is accusing Obama of backing National League World Series contender, the Philadelphia Phillies, when campaigning in Pennsylvania, and supporting the American League contender, the Tampa Bay Rays, whilst in Florida. Just one more reason I’ve become so disillusioned with politics.
Have we, the American citizenry, become so fickle, so shallow in our voting whims that we actually care what teams our candidates support? Is Obama’s appeal—if legitimate—to both sides of a baseball game actually good stumping practice? I certainly hope not. I certainly hope that I am with the majority of Americans when I say that a candidate’s sports allegiances don’t sway my political opinion one iota.
For what it’s worth, if anyone out there who might happen to read these words is actually is making his or her voting decision based on what baseball team the candidates do or don’t support, do me, yourself, and your country a favor and stay home on November 4th. Or better yet, take a few minutes to explore the issues and the candidates’ stances, and go the voting booth informed. I guarantee you that there are a lot of men and women who support the arch-rivals of your favorite teams who are very able politicians and can do America some good.

Even White Sox fans.



One addendum: It’s also my hope that a time might come when candidates no longer appeal to the insignificant, flimsy factors that contribute to popularity but say nothing of personal character and ability. As a swing voter, my vote can be had by presenting political policy, legislative, fiscal, and social methodology, and demonstrating integrity. My vote can be lost by trying to be all things to all people in order to win a popularity contest.

2 comments:

E. Twist said...

I fear where you are swinging this time around.

Patrick Conley said...

Ha!

Is your fear:
(a) for our country,
(b) for me, personally, or
(c) for yourself?

It cannot be (a), because the state in which I live, MN, is posting a 13-point differential between the two major-party candidates. Hence, regardless of which way I end up voting, you cannot sincerely think my vote will effect where our state's electoral votes go.

It cannot be (b), because you know me too well, personally. As such, I can imagine you might be concerned that my political philosophy is misguided, but--knowing me as you do--surely you don't think my political philosophy trumps all when forming my worldview, thoughts, social action, etc., and therefore--although perhaps concerned--you cannot actually be fearful for me.

By elimination, then, I can only assume (c) - that you are fearful for yourself. Fear not, my friend. Blue or Red, Republican or Democrat, Obama or McCain, come November 5th (or Jan. 20, 2009), God will still be God.

I eagerly await your smart-a** reply.