23 July 2008

It is finished.

I sit at the table which has been my workstation for about the last six weeks, gazing out the library window. A bird hops around on the grass outside. The leaves on the trees and shrubs are quiet on this still English day under an overcast English sky.

My last essay for my three-year Bachelor of Theology degree at the University of Oxford is done. It feels strange even typing the words. It has been such a tremendous, transforming time. There have been a number of long hours reading, writing, thinking, discussing, and learning. New relationships have been forged and have deepened quickly. But soon I, like most of my "new" friends, will be off to another part of the world, to put all I have learned to new tests and challenges.

The University of Oxford doesn't do closure well. The best adverb I can think of to describe the manner in which I bound and filed my last essay is "unceremoniously". Graduation ceremonies do not take place until March of next year. My college had a wonderful commissioning service back in early June, but that was before my work was done. Now, it is simply that: it's done. No parties, no celebrations, nothing outstanding to mark the occasion...it's just done.

When Jesus uttered the words "It is finished" on the cross just before he "gave up his spirit" (Jn. 19:30), what a profound utterance it was. "Unceremoniously" doesn't seem to describe Jesus' death at all, considering the supernatural events at the crucifixion recorded in the synoptic gospels: the sky being turned to darkness (Mt. 27:45/Mk. 15:33/Lk. 23:44-45), the earth shaking (Mt. 27:51), the temple curtain being torn in two (Mt. 27:51/Mk. 15:38/Lk. 23:45), the exclamation of the centurion (Mt. 27:54/Mk. 15:39/Lk. 23:47), many dead coming back to life (Mt. 27:52-53). Yet John doesn't give us any of that. He gives us: "It is finished." Simple, yet surpassingly profound: the focal point of human history expressed in three words.

I dare not equate these last three years of theological study with the earthly ministry of our Lord, much less the completion of my last essay with his crucifixion. Still, at this time when I feel such a sense of accomplishment, yet it goes relatively unmarked, I can't help wanting to steal his line.

I'm guessing he'll forgive me.

5 comments:

John LeMay said...

Patrick,
I am very proud of you. It has been a long journey for both you and Kendra. I know the feeling that you are going through and please know that I am over on this side of the pond celebrating with you. When you get back we can have a celebratory cigar.
Good job my friend.

Anonymous said...

Also very proud of you! Sorry that everything is so unceremonious. I am about ready to start PhD studies through Edinburgh up north from you, though will no necessarily be spending all my time there as you and K. have done in Oxford.

Keep us updated on future plans, whether you are staying in the UK or heading back across the pond.

Salam and blessings from Nazareth.

Duane Miller and family

E. Twist said...

Congratulations! I am so envious. Let's talk soon. Much Love, e.

The Quants said...

Pat,
Way to go! I'm excited for you, and I hope you'll fill me in on what's next in life. Blessings, -John

Lancaster Gardener said...

Paddy,

Well done, you. I consider it a real honor to have spent those 3 years with you. You have been a real role model to me over the years. I thank the Lord for you.

I very clearly remember that first OT A essay titled ,"How did Israelite society change from Samuel to Solomon?" remember that?
I remember sitting in my room at No. 2 on that dreadful Sunday night before submission, telling myself... "I am never going to make it through this course..." Oh, what would we all do without Him who finished all things for us!?

Love to you my brother and again... Well done!!